Tonight’s session started with 15 minutes of going through the chants that were covered in last week’s session.
The following chants in English were re-visited:
- Palm Sunday Chants: “As the Lord entered the Holy City…” (settings by Fr. Samuel F. Weber)
- Holy Thursday Chants: “Mandatum novum” (settings by Fr. Samuel F. Weber) and Psalm 118 (adaptation in English & settings by Kenneth Wee)
- Good Friday Chants: “The Reproaches” (settings by Fr. Samuel F. Weber)
Father JJ then proceeded to explain the liturgy of Easter Vigil.
The following chants were presented for the purpose of Easter Vigil:
Special mention were the music accompanying:
- the antiphon for the gathering of the people
- the Lumen Christi
- Triple Alleluia chant and the corresponding Psalm 117 after the Epistle
- the Litanyof Saints
- “Springs of Water” after the dipping of the Paschal Candle in the Blessing of the Water
- “Vidi Aquam” or “I Saw Water” to accompany the Sprinkling Rite
- the Dismissal for Eastertide (Ite missa est, Alleluia)
- Marian Antiphon Regina Caeli
For further resource on the music provided by the International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation (ICEL), click here.